We reviewed fertility outcomes of vasectomy reversal at a high surgical volume center in men with the same female partner as before vasectomy.
Materials and Methods:
We retrospectively studied a prospective database. All vasectomy reversals were performed by a single surgeon (EFF). Patients who underwent microsurgical vasectomy reversal and had the same female partner as before vasectomy were identified from 1978 to 2011. Pregnancy and live birth rates, procedure type (bilateral vasovasostomy, bilateral vasoepididymostomy, unilateral vasovasostomy or unilateral vasoepididymostomy), patency rate, time from reversal and spouse age were evaluated.
We reviewed the records of 3,135 consecutive microsurgical vasectomy reversals. Of these patients 524 (17%) who underwent vasectomy reversal had the same female partner as before vasectomy. Complete information was available on 258 patients (49%), who had a 94% vas patency rate. The clinical pregnancy rate was 83% by natural means compared to 60% in our general vasectomy reversal population (p <0.0001). On logistic regression analysis controlling for female partner and patient ages, years from vasectomy and vasectomy reversal with the same female partner the OR was 2 (p <0.007). Average time from vasectomy was 5.7 years. Average patient and female partner age at reversal was 38.9 and 33.2 years, respectively.
Outcomes of clinical pregnancy and live birth rates are higher in men who undergo microsurgical vasectomy reversal with the same female partner. These outcomes may be related to a shorter interval from vasectomy, previous fertility and couple motivation.
- 1 : Psychological correlates of vasectomy. Fertil Steril2001; 75: 544. Google Scholar
- 2 : Fertility options after vasectomy: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Fertil Steril1997; 67: 133. Google Scholar
- 3 : Results of 1,469 microsurgical vasectomy reversals by the Vasovasostomy Study Group. J Urol1991; 145: 505. Link, Google Scholar
- 4 : Outcomes of vasectomy reversal performed for men with the same female partners. Urology2003; 61: 1221. Google Scholar
- 5 : Superior outcomes of microsurgical vasectomy reversal in men with the same female partners. Fertil Steril2004; 81: 1371. Google Scholar